One hundred seventy years ago, Henry David Thoreau and his walking companion William Ellery Channing celebrated the arrival of spring by making an excursion to The Wayside Inn and Nobscot Hill. Join us for a hike through the Nobscot Scout Reservation as we retrace their steps and look at the New England landscape through their eyes, noting what remains from their time, what has changed, and how history shapes the world around us.
The excursion will be led by Thoreau scholar John J. Kucich and historian Brent Ranalli. Kucich is a professor at Bridgewater State University and has published widely on Thoreau, Native Americans, and environmental literature. Ranalli has written extensively about Thoreau’s life and times. He performs for children and adults as Henry David Thoreau (thoreaulivinghistory.org) and edits the Thoreau Society Bulletin.
The Hike will take place from 10:00 am - noon on Saturday, May 22nd with a rain date of Sunday, May 23rd.
The cost for the guided hike is $25/person (non-member), $20/person (member)
We are also offering an optional picnic lunch after the hike at The Wayside Inn:
$10/bagged lunch (choice of ThanksgivingTurkey Sandwich or Vegetarian Hummus Wrap)
To register: http://bit.ly/BlossomDay21
· The hike is limited to 25 registered participants, aged 16 years and up.
· Participants must be in good physical health andable to hike for up to two hours while wearing a mask.
· Hikers will gather in the main parking lot at Nobscot Scout Reservation, 1 Nobscot Road. The program will begin promptly at 10:00 am and end around noon.
· Pre-ordered bag lunches will be available for pick-up at The Wayside Inn after the hike. Diners are free to take their lunches to their favorite outdoor location at the site and enjoy picnic-style.
· Bagged lunches include a choice of sandwich (Turkey or vegetarian), potato chips, an orange, a chocolate chip cookie, and a bottle of Saratoga spring water. Additional beverages may be purchased from the bar inside Longfellow’s Wayside Inn.
· Some outdoor seating is available, however, participants are welcome to bring their own lawn chairs or blankets. Blankets for picnicking will also be available to borrow from The Wayside Inn Foundation with deposit of $10.
· Please bring insect repellant, sunscreen, a water bottle, and a face mask, and wear hike-appropriate clothing and footwear.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form