Guests may dine in a variety of unique spaces at Longfellow's Wayside Inn. All of our dining rooms have fireplaces, period decor, and their own special charm. Most every-day dining takes place in either the Main Dining Room or the Tap Room. Other rooms, while sometimes available for à la carte dining, are usually designated for special occasions and larger function events.
The Main Dining Room
The Main Dining Room is the largest and newest of all our dining areas. Created in 1924 by former Inn owner Henry Ford, this room originally had a much more rustic appearance, with exposed post-and-beam, wide floor planks, and a low, plastered ceiling. After the fire of 1955, this room was made more formal and has become one of the most requested rooms for dining. The space above—once a large ballroom used during Ford's time for dancing—now houses eight of our ten overnight guest rooms.
The Tap Room
With seating for 40 diners, the Tap Room was originally referred to as "the west kitchen" in former innkeeper Ezekiel Howe's 1796 will. Records indicate that this room was added sometime around 1775, as increased tavern business necessitated a larger cooking space and an additional fireplace. For many years, because the Inn's Old Bar Room was only used as a waiting area for diners, the Tap Room was used as the Inn's service bar. The Old Bar eventually opened as a full-service bar and the Tap Room relegated to a full-time dining area, with its original name still in use today.
The Old Kitchen
Henry Ford's favorite room for entertaining guest while he owned the Inn, the Old Kitchen is one of the rooms with the most Colonial atmosphere. Its dark and cozy atmosphere warms with the glow of a large fireplace, making it the perfect room for a small dinner party of approximately 24 guests.
Howe Sitting Room
This room is part of the Howe's original expanded homestead and Inn. It was originally referred to as the "back parlor" because it is situated directly behind the Inn's main parlor (first room on the left as you enter the front door). Before the fire of 1955, there were two passageways on each side of the fireplace, connecting this room to the parlor in front. At one time this room was used as a guest bedroom and was erroneously called the "Washington Bedchamber."